Monday, November 21, 2016

Monday

Hi there!  Hope you had a great weekend!  I always think of this coming week as the start of the holiday season, don't you? A lot of you have your Christmas trees up already...  some years it's hard to resist the siren call of the decorations I know. We just came off birthday celebrations for both Bret and Frankie so the timing is perfect. This year, Bret has the whole week off, and after a week long business trip it's a welcome chance to relax and unwind. 

First Blush / STarburst ruler

While he was gone, I had a chance to try some new things.  The Fat Quarter Shop sent me one of their new 30° Starburst Ruler to try, so I pulled out my First Blush Block of the Month book and got busy.  I had some of Shari's pretty Wistful Winds floral in red and I paired it with some of Riley Blake's new Confetti Cottons in Peacock and used The Riley Blake Swiss Dots I had on hand in Aqua.

First blush/starburst ruler
 
Using the ruler and book in tandem is a snap.  There are so many great blocks included in the block of the month program.  This is a fairly simple block.  I love how cute the book is with Elea's adorable illustrations as companions to the great diagrams and instructional material. 


starburst block
 
The block went fast, and I feel like I had successful results.  They have tips for piecing and trimming so you get a nice  meeting of the points in the center.  I don't have the large square to trim it up yet, but I can easily make myself a template with ... you guessed it, template plastic.  I think if you were going to make the quilt the 12 1/2 inch ruler would be a great investment in convenience. 


starburst block
 
My center isn't quite perfect, but perfect enough for me.   I'm using these blocks as an opportunity to try something new and to work on my basic skills like accurate cutting and piecing.  I tend to get lazy and then throw caution to the wind.  Time to focus think about it.  Plus I finally found a replacement bulb for my task lighting.  Wow.  SO MUCH BETTER.
 
Ok, hope you have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving super friends!! I am so thankful for your friendship these past TEN YEARS!!!!  xoxo

3 Comments:

Blogger Sherri said...

Ten years! Congrats! I know yours was one of the first blogs I started reading! Happy Thanksgiving!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Missy Shay said...

Your block looks great! I love my 12 1/2 inch ruler, I use it a lot.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Little Quiltsong said...

Love your bright and beautiful block. Wow, ten years - wish I had been there since the beginning of it. Love your Blog!

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older