Thursday, July 16, 2009

As good as it gets.

I can't believe I'm spending so much time talking about the weather. Clear sign of advancing age- preoccupation with weather. Frankie is so going to disown me. Already I constantly ask her how the weather is there, and so far she's putting up with me but it can't last. It just can't. Her putting up with me that is. Hot weather. That's what lasts.
But enough about that right? It's just July. Plenty of days to complain coming up.
Yesterday I decided I had to leave the house if only to go to the market. I needed a baguette to go with dinner and maybe something different for lunches.. so I headed out to Trader Joe's. I don't go there all the time, not that it isn't good, its just well, the food has too much flavor and my family doesn't like flavor. But I like their cheese enchiladas so it was worth the trip.

One thing I rarely do is wander the dessert area. Dessert is the enemy you know, and must be held at bay. But the freezer section was positively delightful so I was looking it all over. And I found this.


I had to buy it. This is as close as I'll get to living the life of gentle beauty that Alicia lives. I saw the photos of her Blackberry Clafoutis in the morning and it was so beautiful. It's not the first time she's written about Clafoutis, she wrote about it here and here and probably more places. So now I too will have Clafoutis. Twice. And for a moment, my life will be filled with gentle beauty as well.

14 Comments:

Blogger Deb Silva said...

LOL - looks like you have to get up real early in the morning to partake in the Clafoutis. Just kidding.

I don't normally go to TJ's just because it's out of my way. I will have to go and check these little gems out though.

6:45 AM  
Blogger jenny allsorts said...

I must have lived a sheltered life. No idea what clafoutis is. (but it looks kind of tasty!)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

Enjoy that gentle life, Pam, however fleeting it may be! I stay away from frequent visits to TJ's because I can't help myself there - too many yummy things!!
Cheers!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My family doesn't like flavor either. I hope you have enjoyed your clafoutis.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

Hi Pam! Sending you greetings from Monterey!!!! Sweety and I have brought the grandson's here for a couple days to get away from the weather. I wish I could have brought all of my whiny friends with me. I'll be back home in a few days and then I can re-join the "whine about the weather" club.

We do need to start playing the lottery so we can win lots of money so we can move here. There are any number of houses in Pacific Grove that I would love to have. Heaven on earth!!!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Peggy said...

Hey, where are our delta breezes? Let me know when they hit your house and I'll look for them here about an hour later. I'm not too productive quilting wise in this heat. I've been "stair-mastering" it all day between my upstairs sewing room and my downstairs laundry room in order not to heat my sewing room up any more. The exercise is killing me!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Suzie Button said...

Hi there! I just discovered your beautiful blog through "Blogging for Bliss" and I have a little award for you over at my blog! Please pop over! Suzie

4:50 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hey, I love TJ's. Not just the cheese enchiladas or guacamole either. The garlic fries are pure heaven. But absolutely NOTHING gentle or beautiful about them.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Christine Thomas said...

Probably the bulk of my shopping is at Trader Joe's. Wonderful store...now I wonder how I did without all these years. Yay!! the weather is cooling off.

Yeah, you might whine...but you whine funny. Thanks for the levity.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's your birthday!! Found out from a little birdie named Elizabeth. Have a happy, happy day!

4:32 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Whoa, your birthday? Or is this maybe an Elizabeth joke planned to enliven a hot, hot day? If not Happy Day Pam! Oh, what the heck, even if it isn't, Happy Day Pam!

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Vicki said...

ahhh, clafouti...I read Alicia's post too and really want to be her next door neighbor. I should probably learn how to pronounce it first...gentle beauty for me is filling the teapot instead of just putting the teabag into the cup...

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

Clafoutis sound entirely brand new to me... but look delicious enough that I might want to tackle baking some of my own. I, as well, will have clafoutis... ;-)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

When I got up to Andrea's on Friday, she had a cherry clafouti tart on the counter cooling. It was delicious--not too sweet at all.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older