Wednesday, February 04, 2009

More good reading

The weather is killing me folks. It's so wonderful and spring like outside, I can't make myself stay inside and sew. Thank goodness Phil says there's 6 more weeks of winter. Out here in California, we need it. In the meantime, we filled up the green waste can with plenty of leaves and weeds. I picked up some magazines this weekend. After Amy posted about a great bird quilt, I had to get the new American Patchwork and Quilting magazine to see it. Super cute. I can't wait to see the magic she works on it.
Had to pick up the latest Quilter's Home for a variety of reasons. First, of course, there are pictures of Alex's home in it. I know, I go there all the time, but I love seeing it through the eyes of someone else. It's every bit as wonderful as the photos show. And it looks like that all the time. Of course the other reason to buy it is in support of the controversial patchwork article. I guess being a California girl I'm not shocked by the quilts but I can imagine that some people are. Mark has a post on his blog talking about this issue, and I urge you to check it out. Also worth checking out is the good article on applique glues and the article on snark. I love the witty conversational nature of the magazine, and of course just want to say things like "All righty, poodles" and "by the way tadpoles". Because I'm like that.
Lastly, my Agatha Raisin book. Man I love village mysteries and Aggie is one of the best. Ok, time to fire up the sewing machine. See ya poodles!

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, every time you recommend a book I go and get it and they are great. I am banking on this one too!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Amy DeCesare said...

I am loving your book list - just discovered the Faith Fairchild series, thanks to you! Coincidentally, I just checked out my first MC Beaton book, too! I hope I never get arrested for murder - that's almost all I read!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You know, you're right! Alex's house always DOES look like that. Never ever seen it messy.

It's news to me that I need Joann Fabrics to decide what sort of quilts I should look at...

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a good mystery is ALWAYS fabulous!

11:07 AM  
Blogger MichelleB said...

I was just recently reading about Quilter's Home magazine on one of my Yahoo groups. Apparently it is somewhat controversial - which I had no idea - and which totally makes me want to subscribe to it immediately. LOL Thanks for bringing it to my attention that JoAnn's will not be carrying it. I'll definitely go get it elsewhere.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My California rebel hairs are standing at attention. I'm so glad you brought up the issue. Like Michelle, I may just start subscribing to QH as well!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Minick and Simpson said...

I love Agatha Raisin! I think I love Beaton's other mystery series even more - the Hamish MacBeth village mysteries. They are a hoot on audio with the heavy Scottish brogue.

Laurie

4:48 AM  
Blogger Jona Giammalva said...

Ooohhhh, Mark's been banned. That's kind of juicy. I'll have to run out to Barnes and Noble right away (which is where I usually get it anyway). Mark's presentation in the schoolhouse series at Quilt Market was, by far, the best one we went to (a woman got up and left the room because she was offended which was kind of surreal).

I believe Joann's has the right to make decisions about what they will carry (or not carry) but it's kind of weird. I mean 99.99% of the people shopping there are adults and he did take extra steps to make sure the magazine was in a plastic wrap. Interesting.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older