Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Day Off

Last week Bret took a day off for an outing. He's been wanting to go up to the foothills for a while, and it seemed the perfect time with all this nice spring weather. And extra nice during the week when the traffic and peoples are at a minimum. This is the actual creek. When I told Frankie about going she remembered seeing snakes and frogs in the creek, we would stand on that bridge there and look down at the water passing. Sometimes we'd bring a picnic and up the other direction there were places to sit and watch the water go by.

First stop Water Street Antiques . It's a fun place to look even if you don't find anything. We haven't been in ages, and now they've got a warehouse full of new things as well.



Sutter Creek is a beautiful town. The old historic area has a lot of lovely old houses. Many people were out working in their yards or there would be way more pictures of darling houses to share.


After Sutter Creek we headed over to Amador City, a few miles down Highway 49. There is a little shop there, Country Living, that is completely darling. Been there for THIRTY THREE YEARS! This is Sandy the owner. Super sweet, she let me take some photos. I was so happy to see it.. I've shopped there many a time.



Here's Bret enjoying his lunch of fancy pizza at the little bakery in Amador City. I had a cup of coffee and a piece of walnut shortbread. Lunch of champions.

We took a leisurely drive from there through frog jump country, stopping in Angel's Camp and Murphy's. On the way out of town we saw this sign, and it really really really cracked me up.

Have a super day peoples. xo

20 Comments:

Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

That looks like a wonderful day!! i'd love some of that furniture in that place. OMG it's great!! I need to hook up a uhaul and drive on over.
Please tell me you didn't have the..........BRAIN SURGERY!!!! LOL

10:35 AM  
Blogger Camille said...

What a fun little trip! I wish I could have come, that furniture is calling my name! I might have to get the address for that brain surgeon, mine doesn't seem to work anymore...

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun day w/your Bret(handsome man) and looks like a beautiful day.
Love the furniture and the brain surgery (yikes) but looks like a great time!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

What fun to live vicariously through Pam Kitty Morning. I love days like that. It really doesn't get better than that. Savor it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

Great store! Funny danged sign. LOVE the fabs in the following post, too. They're not vintage?

7:40 PM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

We live in Escalon and my Mom and Dad lived in El Dorado so we would take the "back" way to see them. We would snake over and get on Hwy 49 and go through Sutter Creek, Amador and Dry Town. Then go through Plymoth before coming to El Dorado. Next time you are up there go to El Dorado. There is a stop sign as the road ends and you either have to go right or left. Left takes you to Shingle Springs and right takes you to Placerville, another fabulous town. Almost straight ahead will be a little yellow house that is the Hartwick House Antique store in El Dorado Fabulous. Tell Gail and Karen that Jean sent you. You'll be glad you stopped by.

Were the dogwoods blooming? Last year we went up there and they were all over. That's how I convinced Sweety that we need to plant them in our yard. I'm glad you had a great time.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

What great photos and that store looks amazing. Love the brain surgery sign - too funny!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

OOOH! Looks like Jean has provided another trip to take!
I find the prospect of brain surgery oddly compelling.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like you had a wonderful day! The antique place looks like it had some terrific finds. What place was the Brain Surgery sign in front of? I can't possibly imagine!

2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a lovely lovely time!~~I wanna go!~~~XXOO, Beth

4:48 AM  
Blogger Where in the world is Jefferson City, Missouri said...

Boy your trip sounded great. I would so love to go to Amador....my ancestors help found that town and there is a street with our name, Fleehart. And I think the museum is in the old Fleehart store. What a neat trip....so many neat shops....thanks for sharing.....

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Sutter Creek, and one of my closest friends lives in Amador City! It was so nice to see the familiar shops, which brought back so many great memories for me! Thanks so much for sharing your outing.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! What a fun time. I loved the shops you visited. I feel a trip coming to Sutter Creek : )

9:14 AM  
Blogger Dena Rooney-Berg (SugarShop) said...

Ok, I feel like I'm taking this lovely area for granted! I love these posts. They always make me see what I should be doing! I live right here in the bay and we should get out and enjoy it more.
xoxox

9:47 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I love the sign. That sounds like a great afternoon. I want to do an outing like that one of these days!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite towns for antiques is Sonora. We used to have a cabin at Pinecrest Lake and would make trips to Sonora regularly...Glad you had a wonderful day!

12:30 PM  
Blogger LizzyHouse said...

i love that old furniture. We have some sweet places like this outside of Houston. Glad you had fun!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I LOVE it up there! Water Street Antiques is a wonderful place and I know that they used to have THE BEST selection of Irish Pine furniture. Angels Camp is a hoot, too! Lots of shopping to be had everywhere you went!

Becky

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom was just suggesting that we needed a jolly jaunt up to Sutter Creek and Jackson the other day. It's my favorite time of year to go up there because the drive is so pretty.

Loved the brain surgery sign.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the sign! That is too funny - my kinda town. Your trip to Sutter Creek is much more fun then the trip I remember having in the 5th grade (I think it was on our way when we went to Camp Sliver Spur maybe?). Though, I did win a Snicker's bar for finding the oldest person in some historic grave yard. I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I remember that.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older