Monday, March 12, 2007

Strawberries and cream.. and coffee, of course

I don't know about where you were but here in Northern California it was a lovely weather weekend. Elizabeth and I took a nice car ride on Saturday, over to Mill Valley and up to Sebastopol, with stops along the way of course. There were some places on her list of places to go and so go we did.



Our trip took us across the Richmond-San Rafael bridge, which is a pretty bridge, but I didn't capture any of it's glory. Maybe another time. As a kid I never liked this bridge, you can see out between the roadway and the sides, and I was always thinking about how easy it would be to slide out and plunge to a gruesome death below. Because that's the crazy stuff I'd think about when looking there. I don't think you can walk across this bridge anyway, and even if it was possible, NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

But I digress as I often do.

I'm not sure if I ever went into Mill Valley, or at least into the little old-town, I don't remember it specifically. Its a charming little area. We'd read about a French shop there and we were dying to see it. The sidewalks were brick and this shop was part of a little warren of buildings that had a tunneled walkway between them, including this darling sewing shop and a restaurant.



I was thinking about all my bloggy friends and taking photos, so when I saw this book it just seemed like serendipity. The sewing shop had an eclectic collection of things, we didn't buy anything but it was fun looking. We walked around the block and enjoyed the sunshine.



And then we went for a coffee and a snack at the little French Bakery.



I mean really, is this the best looking mid-morning snack you've ever seen? I rarely see such lovely pastries anywhere and it was hard choosing what to have. The strawberries were so ripe and flavorful it was like I'd never had strawberries before.

That's pretty much because this was all part of my little fantasy life. No, I mean I was there, but a place like this is something I've always dreamed about. Living near a little downtown area where you could stroll to breakfast on a Saturday morning, have a coffee, read the paper.



Live in a little old house, funky but filled with interesting nooks and crannies. A magazine life. Or one made for TV. Filled with baguettes and fresh flowers and of course, strawberries. Insert the fruit of your dreams. Have a coffee. And a charming day.

Elizabeth has more of the day.. read about it on her blog.

14 Comments:

Blogger Denise S. said...

Oh my what a feast for the eyes. It looks and sounds like you two had a marvelous time.
My husband fixed some strawberries from the store day before yesterday but they were way too sour,not ripe and sweet as they should be.

10:34 AM  
Blogger laura capello said...

mmmmmmm...

we live by the old downtown area of our city and love it. on saturday mornings we go to the farmer's market; before our food allergies were diagnosed we'd get coffee and cinnamon peach muffins from the local coffee shop. :sigh: i miss doing that part.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, i think we have the same 'Fantasy" for life! LOL!rosemary

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD... I've ALWAYS hated going across the San Rafael bridge for the EXACT same reason you said. Even to this day it bugs me. I was even JUST talking about it to some friends just last week. That's wild.

I love how you and E have these great adventures and then share with us. It's like we get to go with without leaving our coffee cups and candy bar wrappers in your back seat.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those strawberries looke delicious! My mouth watered just looking at them. Lucky you!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne said...

Wow -- looks like my kind of place/fantasy ! But in my fantasy I'm the owner of a cute combination quilt/craft shop/ book shop/cafe complete with a big comfy sofa like in the coffee shop on "Friends" -- and outside there are little cafe tables for when the weather's nice -- and beautiful window boxes filled with overflowing , gorgeous flowers. And to complete my fantasy, my hair always looks good, and I'm always wearing some great outfit personally selected by those 2 people on that show "What Not to Wear". Ahhh, yes, in my dreams!

Mary Anne

1:48 PM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

Always find these posts when I'm hungry!!!!.....look like fun

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh... I'm now officially homesick. That's my neck of Marin, County. Actually, we were just north of Mill Valley in San Anselmo. If you get a chance to go hang in that direction, I highly recommend eating at Comforts! :D

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the photos. S i g h. Right about now the Jasmine is starting to bloom and everything smells, clean. I can almost smell it.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun day you had. Love the Petaluma shop. Maybe we could go there sometime.

9:15 PM  
Blogger The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Oh I am so longing for a visit up to your neck of the woods! What a great area you live in!!!

12:16 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Which town was the bakery in? That look so good I might actually be drooling. Yum. You can't take me anywhere.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Debby said...

What pretty pictures. I am going to have to start venturing off more. The old town looks great. And I will agree that the weather in Northern California this past weekend was the best.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want the magazine life, too.... the stroll, the cute vintage house, with fresh flowers, oh....and the baguettes.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed my "visit" through your post and loved the wonderful photos!!
xo,
Kim

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older